Becoming A Resident In Spain

It is now easier to become a resident in Spain. Certain changes in the processes and requirements encouraged more people, particularly EU (European Union) citizens to move to Spain. In fact, approximately four million immigrants now have Spanish properties as well as residence and/or work permits. After all, Spain has so much to offer; especially to those considering retiring in a laid-back kind of country with diverse culture and cuisine, and the weather is pleasant all throughout the year.

Ki Residences

It could take some time before you will finally become a legitimate Spanish resident; particularly if you are to live in Spain together with your family. However, there is no need to worry as long as you are knowledgeable about the process and the necessary paperwork. You should spend enough time doing proper research, and seek guidance from professionals. More importantly, you need to ensure that you are driven and prepared enough to go through the process of becoming a resident in Spain Ki Residences.

EU/EEA citizens required a Residence Card long before the new regulation was implemented. As of April 2007, the card has been replaced with a Certificate of Registration or Certificado de Inscripcion en el Registro Central de Extranjeros/Certificado de registro como residente comunitario.

If you are an EU or EEA citizen who aims to move and live in Spain, you ought to apply for a Residence Certificate at the Central Register of Foreign Nationals/National Register of Foreigners ( Registro Central de Extranjeros). This certificate will prove your legitimate residency in Spain also comes with your tax identification number, the NIE (Número de Identificación de Extranjero).

Keep in mind that your Residency Certificate will not function as a valid identification or identity document. It is valid permanently and need not be renewed. You will use such certificate not just to prove your residency but also for various important transactions. Your NIE is your official identification to the Spanish tax authorities. You will need it for fiscal purposes.

On the other hand, Non-EU/EEA citizens should apply for a Residence Card (Tarjeta de Residencia de Familiar de Cuidadano de la Unión). This includes the non-EU/EEA family members of an EU/EEA citizen. Unlike the Residence Certificate, the Residency Card needs to be renewed and it does not come with an NIE. Non-EU/EEA citizens will have to apply for their NIE in a different manner.

It is imperative for Non-EU/EEA citizens to visit the Spanish consulate in their region and ask for proper guidance. They have to fully understand the applicable process and requirements, particularly when it comes to specific visa entry requirements which should be carried out before going to Spain.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *